The brief I chose was to reduce film piracy. Aimed at 16-25 year old males, I had to speak in their language to persuade them that buying a DVD or visiting the cinema is much better than downloading a pirated movie.
In my research I discovered the solution I had to focus on was to give something away for free, as a sort of reward for respecting copyright. I’ve no idea why, but the idea of designing socks came to me. I wanted to design socks in the style of the characters from popular films which customers would receive when purchasing a DVD. The socks would be kept behind the counter for people to see, but only receive when buying a DVD. This would emphasis how exclusive they are to people who respect piracy. On the back of the tag there would be information about film piracy and the Industry Trust website where people can find out more about the campaign.
We were set the task to create a series of 6 posters based on our opinion of a random news paper article, but we weren’t allowed to use the computer. This was set to get us using the print studio and to pull us away from relying on technology. I’d done quite a bit of handmade print work at college and really enjoyed it, so I felt up for the challenge.
My article was about a man who had died from a lorry accident. The cause was not yet known, but it was clear it was a huge shock to everyone. Although the story is tragic and heartbreaking, I didn’t want my posters to be negative. My opinion of the story was that life should be lived to the full and enjoyed as much as possible, because, as in this story, you never know what might happen.
I came up the phrase, ‘Worrying never..’ and ended my 6 posters in different ways that people could relate to. I wanted them very simple, so the phrase was the focus. The bright colours reflect the positivity of the messages.
For the Penguin book competition brief I designed two book covers for the novel, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. As I wasn’t familiar with the story I had to do a lot of research quite quickly, but it wasn’t long before I discovered the main themes throughout the story was the illness’s the characters suffer with and the control the nurses had of everyone.
To express this I played around with light and shadows to create the first digital approach, reflecting the distorted view the patients had of the world.
The second cover was created by stitching the title of the book onto a white pillow. This was to emphasis the control the nurses had on the patients, restricting them without even realising.
I know I shouldn’t have favourites, but if I did, this one would be it.
I am creating this blog to store all my projects and workshops that I do at university. Something that I probably needed to do a while ago, but better late than never! I have quite a bit to catch up on, but here it goes…